Thursday, July 5, 2007

It Would Need to Be a Mighty Big Room!

I was thinking about the life of the Trappist monk and author Thomas Merton recently and in one of his books he talks about this point in his life, while on a corner of a busy intersection in a major metropolitan center, where he fell in love with humanity. What?!?!?!? He talks about this moment when he realized he loved every one of the people that passed by him. His heart opened. I know what this heart opening feels like. I experienced it when my children were born. At the time I realized I loved my wife to such a overwhelming degree that I was sure there was no more room in my heart to love someone else. Then my son was born. And all of a sudden a door to another room opened up in my heart that I didn't even know existed. And the same thing happened again with the birth of my youngest son. So I know what that "opening up" feels like. But, for all of humanity?!?! This thought haunts me and now I want to be there. I want to love, truly love, everyone I meet. Despite all of their short comings and my misgivings.