Monday, February 25, 2008

They Might Not Notice!

It's true! I didn't mention race or ethnicity for about 2 years of my preaching ministry for fear that the predominantly white congregation that I minister to might notice that I was black! And the thinking was literally this: If I don't mention it they might not notice. As if that would work. And as crazy as that sounds we do it all the time with the sin in our lives. If I don't say anything they might not notice. As if people, if they took the time to look, could not see the signs and markings of sin in a persons life. I mean I'm not a sin monitoring machine and I certainly don't go around looking intently in order to spot the signs of sin in people's lives. But it isn't all that hard to spot. Inconsistency in speech and action, distance and distraction, an inability to be authentic; its all there if you look for it. But you don't have to even do that because we all fall short and that "all" stacks the deck in favor of everyone having some sort of sin in their lives. So it can't be hidden. And instead of confronting the sin head on we, "just won't speak of it". But scripture counter intuitively says speak of it, say it, confess it, own it. For only then can you eradicate it. Confession is a launching pad for redemption and forgiveness. I've become more authentic in front of people now that I speak of race and heritage and culture. And I think the same can be said of sins, shortcomings, and struggles. Get real with it. Find someone, not a bunch of people, but someone who is a safe place and let that stuff go! If the story stays inside of you it controls you but once released you control it. You have contained it in language. God has something to work with when you are authentic and available. Confession places you on the Potter's wheel.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Eric,
Your sermon yesterday was great! It really spoke to me. I have always been so afraid of what others think of me that I haven't shared what I have struggled with.

There is something different here, though. It really has become a safe place for family to share our struggles and victories with each other. It really is a family. Even if I am not coming forward to confess things to the entire congregation, I feel safe to share with my sisters in the congregation. Why do we think that we can hide our sin completely? What is with this obsession to look like we have it all together? It just is not possible!

Andrew said...

When you mentioned that in Church on Sunday, it didn't really sink in until later that it's a two way street. It would be easy for me to laugh along with you say "how silly, of course Eric is black." But interestingly enough, upon reflection, I have to admit that the same thing happens on the other side of the fence. I spent probably the same amount of time thinking "none of us should mention that Eric is black - he may not have realized yet that we're all white." While not a perfect analogy, we do the same with sin. We all probably have family, friends or loved ones that we see hurting and are afraid to let them know we see it, because they may not have realized it yet. What a sadly, frightened person I often am! We're all so broken we are too afraid to help each other for fear of being vulnerable and genuine.

BexInTheCity said...

Andrew makes a good point!!